- Featured Financial Literacy Program to Highlight California Financial Literacy Month (April 2013)The CAFLM Blog will feature financial literacy programs in March and April to highlight California Financial Literacy Month, April 2013. To feature your financial literacy program, see the CAFLM Blog post dated February 20, 2013.
Today we are highlighting…
Bank of the West and Classroom Visits using Three Cups
- Book: Three Cups
- Author/s: Tony Townsley & Mark St. Germain
- Publication Year/s: 2011
- Price: Visit http://www.3cupsbook.com/
- Format: (print, PDF, digital, etc.): Print
- Age/Grade Level: Ages 4-8
- Audience: Students
By reading Three Cups in local K-3 classrooms, Bank of the West employees introduce basic concepts of saving, spending and sharing money and encourage the development of positive financial habits. The book Three Cups is about a boy who receives three cups from the kitchen cupboard as a gift from his parents on his 5th birthday: one cup is for saving, another is for spending, and the third is for sharing his money. He is taught by his parents to divide his weekly allowance among these three cups, with each cup’s amount growing over time. The book follows the boy on his money “adventures” throughout his life, including opening a bank account, saving for college and giving three cups to his son on his 5th birthday.